7/15/2006

Waiting for the worms

I have never felt so abandoned by my government. I have nothing but anger for President Bush as he continues to lack common sense and the ability to reason. Regardless of your stance on Hizballah or what lead to this escalation, anyone with common sense will see that innocent people are suffering the most. We are completely isolated from the outside world, running out of oil and food from the blockade. Electricity is now a luxury that is not guaranteed and to be honest, I am not sure when i will be able to update this blog again. As for the violence, let me summarize it as Israeli warplanes constantly flying over lebanon, dropping bombs at any random place. Our civilian casualties are far exceeding the Israelis and furthermore they are equiped to hide from the miniscule rockets that Hizballah is able to launch. There is a huge difference between ground rockets and launching rockets from a F-15.

As for my safety, I am guaranteed to be safe because they are not coming close to the Christian neighborhoods but the sounds of war can be just as damaging.. Every night I wait for the next attack to watch the ground erupt into flames and the anti-aircraft fire. There is nothing to do other than stay awake, I am not sure the last time I had a decent amount of sleep, but who could think of it in a time like this? I will only suffer with the rest of the lebanese by having to search for food and water, which is becoming more scarce as this continues. The only ones that can bring an end to this conflict is the US and the Israelis, both whom seem staunchly opposed to doing so. Please make some noise in America for me and try to get the US involved to limit the hijacking of Lebanon.. The government is powerless and the people are stuck in this horrible mess. None of us are immune.

As for evacuation, I have heard that the State dept is putting together some plan to ship Americans to Cyprus, but I have to sign a promisary note to pay back the boat ride and they leave us stranded there, which doesn't really leave me in a good place, being that I own a ticket to the US leaving the former Beirut International Airport on Aug 3rd. There are 25,000 Americans here in Lebanon and I would have assumed that the US had more interest in calming this situation but once again the US has steered clear from any logical policy.

Let the world remember the best way to defend itself, destroy its sovereign neighboring country.

May God be with the people of Lebanon..

I will update as much as I can.

Day 4 of the siege

No comments: